Learn how to bridge tokens from Ethereum, BNB Chain, Arbitrum, Optimism and more to Polygon PoS and Polygon ZkEVM.
What Is Polygon?
With 477 DApps already deployed on Polygon, let’s take a look at how you can bridge funds into Polygon to interact with the ecosystem.
What You Need To Bridge to Polygon
Before you bridge, you need to have the following things:
3. A Polygon bridge address: A Polygon bridge address is a smart contract address that connects the Ethereum and Polygon networks and allows you to transfer your assets between them.
How To Bridge Tokens From Ethereum to Polygon PoS Via the PoS Bridge?
The PoS Bridge is a smart contract that allows you to transfer your ETH or ERC-20 tokens from Ethereum to Polygon and vice versa. To use the PoS Bridge, you need to follow these steps:
1. Head to the Polygon web wallet and click on native bridge.
A pop-up will open, prompting you to connect your wallet to the Polygon web wallet.
3. Approve the Polygon web wallet smart contract.
You will be asked to sign a transaction if it is your first time interacting with Polygon. You will not see this message if you have interacted with the web wallet before.
4. Select the asset and amount you want to bridge.
Choose the asset you want to bridge from Ethereum to Polygon and click on Transfer.
5. Approve the transaction and pay the gas fee.
You need to approve the transaction by clicking through several windows of confirmation. Click on “Continue” in each window.
6. Sign the transaction in your MetaMask interface.
A pop-up in your MetaMask will open, asking you to confirm and sign the transaction. After that, the assets are bridged, and you have to wait for a few minutes for their arrival on Polygon.
How To Bridge Tokens Back From Polygon to Ethereum Via the PoS Bridge?
Bridging from Polygon back to Ethereum follows almost the same process.
1. Open the Polygon web wallet and connect your MetaMask.
2. Click on Withdraw and select the asset and amount you want to bridge.
3. Approve the transaction and pay the gas fee.
When bridging out of Polygon, you also need to approve the transaction. Click on Continue in each window.
4. Sign the transaction in your MetaMask interface.
Sign the transaction in the Metamask pop-up. After that, the assets are bridged and you have to wait for a few hours to receive them on Ethereum.
6. Claim your withdrawal.
When your bridged assets arrive on Ethereum, click on Continue to claim them in your Metamask.
How To Bridge Tokens to Polygon PoS With Third-Party Bridges?
1. Select Faster Bridges in the web wallet.
2. Connect your wallet and select a third-party bridge from the list which supports the ERC-20 token you want to bridge.
Different bridges support different assets and have different fees. You can choose a bridge depending on the asset you want to bridge. All third-party bridges support deposits and withdrawals from the Polygon network.
How To Bridge Tokens to Polygon ZkEVM With the Native Bridge?
1. In the web wallet, select the ZkEVM tab and click on “Native Bridge.”
2. Connect your wallet and select the asset and amount you want to bridge.
When you have chosen the asset you want to bridge, you will be prompted to sign a Metamask transaction.
3. Check the alert and click “Start Bridging.” Bridging to ZkEVM is instantaneous.
Currently only bridging to the network is enabled.
How To Bridge Tokens to Polygon ZkEVM With Third Party Bridges?
You can also use third-party bridges to bridge to and from ZkEVM. However, be aware that Polygon ZkEVM is still in beta and bridging using third-party products carries risks.
1. In the web wallet, select the ZkEVM tab and click on “Third-Party Bridges.”
2. Connect your wallet and select the third-party bridge you want to use.
When you have chosen the bridge, you will be directed to the external platform to conduct the bridge transaction.
Bridging to and from Polygon is simple and does not take a lot of time. If you want to reduce waiting times even further, you can use faster third-party bridges to enjoy quicker access to your crypto assets on Polygon.