CoinMarketCap does a breakdown of some of the best cryptocurrency exchanges in India [Updated on Sept. 8, 2021]
Choosing a crypto exchange will play a big role in your experience with investing and trading digital currency
. Despite the crypto regulations in India
, Bitcoin is legal to trade and hold in India. Investors have various options when it comes to choosing a brokerage
for purchasing cryptos like Bitcoin
All these options have their benefits, but some exchanges outshine the competition to provide investors with a superior experience. Whether you are looking for the best Bitcoin exchange in India, or are interested in buying other cryptocurrencies, this guide will help you choose from the best crypto exchange options available to Indians crypto investors, by comparing the top benefits of each.
Join us in showcasing the cryptocurrency revolution, one newsletter at a time. Subscribe now to get daily news and market updates right to your inbox, along with our millions of other subscribers (that’s right, millions love us!) — what are you waiting for?
We have reviewed the following exchanges and outlined some of the benefits that may work best for some investors based on their specific needs.
is one of the most popular crypto exchanges globally and offers a good option for Indian crypto investors. With Binance India, users can trade over 350 altcoins, including the native Binance Coin (BNB). Users can also earn money in various ways, including staking and earning interest on their crypto holdings. Binance India also offers users a way to trade peer-to-peer, participate in margin trading, and execute advanced trading methods like futures contracts.
Binance users in India can:
- Safely trade and store crypto with competitive fees;
- Earn interest on crypto with Binance India savings accounts;
- Take part in advanced options like trading pairs, futures, and trading on margin;
- Spend crypto easily with available Binance credit cards;
- Take out loans in crypto;
- Have access to a secure platform and wallets on one of the largest and most trusted exchanges.
is a Binance-owned Indian crypto exchange with headquarters in Mumbai, and is one of the country’s largest crypto exchanges. WazirX has a native cryptocurrency utility token – WazirX coin (WRX
). Like Binance, they offer a P2P trading engine that automatically matches users to trade amongst each other. Their exchange provides an intuitive interface across desktop and mobile devices, and they claim to have a fast signup and verification process.
WazirX claims to be India's "most trusted Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency exchange." WazirX can be considered safe as it aims to be India's most secure exchange, by investing in regular security audits. Users are also required to undergo a know-your-customer (KYC) process, and accounts are secured using two-factor authentication (2FA) and one-time password (OTP). WazirX also stores 95% of users funds offline in cold storage.
WazirX users in India can:
- Invest safely with an Indian-based exchange;
- Make P2P trades;
- Make fast transactions from anywhere;
- Trade and stake the WazirX ecosystem utility token – WazirX coin (WRX);
- Enjoy Indian customer support with INR deposits, account setup and more;
- Purchase from over 140 coins, including the native WRX token.
is an international exchange platform that is based in the U.S. The platform has been praised for its intuitive interface and pleasant user experience. Coinbase is the second-largest platform in the world by trading volume (following Binance). It has been adding upgrades to features like customer support to keep up with increased demand worldwide. The platform has never had a major security breach, which makes it a good option for investors who don’t want to worry about the funds they have stored on exchange wallets.
Indian investors can open a Coinbase or Coinbase Pro account to take advantage of advanced trading options. However, Coinbase India has much fewer altcoin offerings than Binance, with only a little over 50 coins to choose from.
Coinbase users in India can:
- Safely purchase and trade digital assets after depositing INR;
- Earn crypto rewards by watching educational videos;
- Take part in staking coins;
- Store coins in cold storage with Coinbase vault;
- Rest easier with multiple security features and authentication;
- Enjoy an easy-to-use platform on Coinbase India mobile app.
is a mobile-first, Indian cryptocurrency exchange and trading app based in Singapore. CoinDCX claims to be the largest and safest cryptocurrency exchange in India, and is trusted by over 4 million Indian users. There are over 500 crypto tokens to trade on the app, and to get started is easy. The signup process is simplified and requires a one-time password (OTP) to the users mobile number and email address. CoinDCX places great emphasis on security – it is insured by BitGo, all passwords and personal data is encrypted, and 95% of all funds are stored in multi-sig cold wallets
. CoinDCX are also backed by some of the top investors in the crypto space, such as Coinbase Ventures, BainCapital Ventures, Polychain Capital and BitMex.
CoinDCX users in India can:
- Trade using a seamless, easy-to-use and versatile trading app;
- Take advantage of the fast and simple sign-up process (CoinDXC claims users can start investing in under 10 minutes);
- Be assured that their funds are secured and personal data are encrypted;
- Trade spot, margin and futures on over 500 pairs, with up to 6 times margin.
is a trusted U.S.-based exchange that has enabled users to invest in crypto since 2011. It is the third-largest in the world by trading volume and has a huge international presence. Kraken has high standards for customer satisfaction and support, so they offer 24/7 help for investors. However, they have a much smaller coin selection than Binance or WazirX (only around 50 coins like Coinbase). Kraken provides all the same options for trading but adds a higher level of security, infrastructure, and support.
Kraken users in India can:
- Trade by depositing INR fiat into secure accounts;
- Use well-designed charting tools;
- Access a customer support network at any time;
- Take advantage of low trading fees.
is another established global exchange that has been open to investors since 2011. They offer users an intuitive interface with all the advanced features that investors could need to execute complex trades. Their tenure in the industry has given them time to create benefits for users like 98% offline storage, enhanced data encryption and around-the-clock investor support. Bitstamp is also home to institutional investors looking to trade Bitcoin and put other digital assets on their balance sheets.
Bitstamp users in India can:
- Store funds securely offline;
- Make fast transactions on a platform with almost zero downtime;
- Take advantage of low flat-rate trading fees on trades under 20,000 USD;
- Use well-designed applications for on-the-go trading.
is based in Hong Kong and offers advanced traders the tools they will need to get to work trading Bitcoin or other crypto assets in India. The exchange is tailored to provide a suite of options for crypto traders to execute advanced algorithmic orders, customize trading charts to fit their strategy and fund their accounts on margin. This platform will be well-suited to professional traders and firms looking for advanced crypto trading opportunities.
Bitfinex users in India can:
- Choose from a suite of advanced trading tools;
- Create accounts as professional traders;
- Execute many short-term trading strategies;
- Exchange digital assets with minimal slippage.
is a crypto exchange platform based in Seychelles that offers derivatives and spot trading opportunities to users. They offer over 400 trading pairs and have a huge international presence with over 20 million traders. The platform has customizable options for users to suit their experience and preference with the opportunity to simply buy and hold, or partake in trading Bitcoin or other crypto assets futures, options and margin. OKEx also offers ways to earn crypto and finance projects with crypto-based loans.
OKEx users in India can:
- Choose various ways to invest and earn with crypto;
- Finance projects with crypto-based loans;
- Give their trading skills a boost with OKEx Academy;
- Take part in crypto mining pools.
Which Cryptocurrency Exchange in India Should You Choose?
The list of best Indian cryptocurrency exchanges above provides a comprehensive and convenient platform for users interested in cryptocurrency trading in India. Some crypto exchanges feature easy-to-use, mobile-first platforms for first-time investors, while others offer sophisticated trading tools for experienced crypto traders.
As Bitcoin is legal in India, the list of crypto exchanges listed above are also the best exchanges to buy Bitcoin in India.
However, the streamlined interface and easy sign-up process should not be confused with ease in investing in the volatile crypto markets. Despite the numerous "buy high, sell low" memes, the loss of funds is irreparable.
Instead of losing your hard-earned money, it is wiser to educate yourself before diving into the crypto market. Check out our guide on how to invest in cryptocurrency
, and learn more on CoinMarketCap education portal – Alexandria
This article contains links to third-party websites or other content for information purposes only (“Third-Party Sites”). The Third-Party Sites are not under the control of CoinMarketCap, and CoinMarketCap is not responsible for the content of any Third-Party Site, including without limitation any link contained in a Third-Party Site, or any changes or updates to a Third-Party Site. CoinMarketCap is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by CoinMarketCap of the site or any association with its operators. This article is intended to be used and must be used for informational purposes only. It is important to do your own research and analysis before making any material decisions related to any of the products or services described. This article is not intended as, and shall not be construed as, financial advice. The views and opinions expressed in this article are the author’s [company’s] own and do not necessarily reflect those of CoinMarketCap.